Disaster Restoration Pros

24/7 Mold Remediation and Water Damage Restoration Services!

Mold Removal Myth #1

Throw Some Bleach On It

This is one of the biggest myths regarding mold. Believe it or not, in nearly every case, bleach will actually encourage further mold growth!

The EPA states, “The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup“.

When you apply bleach to “kill” mold on a porous surface, the chlorine will typically stay on the surface and will only “kill” a fraction of the mold while the water in bleach will sink into the material and can actually promote further growth.

Bleach will typically only remove the color of the stains caused by mold. Please remember that “killing” mold is not enough! The EPA states, “Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.”

Removal Myth #2

Dead mold is not a risk

Typically, one square inch of affected material can contain up to 20 million mold spores! When you attempt to “kill” mold, intentionally or simply when the source of moisture is eliminated, mold releases its spores in the air to find a new place to colonize. Even though the mold is “dead”, the spores can still cause reactions.

It is likely that some materials such as drywall, cardboard, carpet, padding, upholstered furniture must be completely removed and disposed of in a safe manner. Many materials are savable during a mold removal project; however, you should be prepared for disposal of some items due to either cost-effectiveness of cleaning or inability to safely clean some items.

Mold Removal Myth #3

I don’t see any mold, I don’t have a mold problem.

The average mold spore is approximately 100 times smaller than a dust spec. For example, when you walk by a window with the sun shining through and see dust floating, each individual particle that you can see would represent approximately 100 mold spores.

The one and only way to have 100% certainty regarding a mold problem within any structure is to have it tested using professional testing equipment. It is not recommended to purchase a “mold test kit” from your local hardware store. Because every home has mold in the air, they will always show positive for growth.

Having an air sample taken and analyzed by a certified Industrial Hygienist is the only recommended procedure for any structure to address a suspected mold removal problem.

Fees for this service typically range from $250-$1800 depending on the size of the structure and level of suspected contamination.

We are happy to provide pre-remediation testing for any size structure, including crawlspaces.